Monday, March 24, 2008

Pleasure Point in Capitola, CA

While not technically a birding trip, I couldn't help but watch the birds while I awaited between sets of waves while surfing for two days at Pleasure Point in Capitola, CA. I saw my first BROWN PELICAN of the spring fly overhead. Out in the water, I shared the waves and kelp forest mostly with Pelagic Cormorants (with white spots of their breeding plumage showing) and Double-crested Cormorants with a few Western Grebes and Western Gulls paddling by as well. It was a lot of fun to see the sea otters (3-4 of them) and harbor seals (2-3) come in so close. I thought I saw a Northern Fulmar fly overhead, but I can't be certain because it happened so fast.

Saw a few Mallard Ducks fly out of the river area and even noticed a Greater White-Fronted Goose come down the river that was mostly filled with American Coots and various Gulls.